Suicide Survivors' Club book set was awarded a 2016 Midwest Book Award (first place) in the Autobiography/Memoir category. Books were submitted from the 12-state region. Awards were presented by the Midwest Independent Publishers Association (MIPA) at their 27th annual awards gala on May 12, 2017. (left to right) Will Anderson, Laurie Phillips, Rebecca Anderson, Louise Woehrle, Shannon Cogbill, Aidan Anderson, and Jon Spayde.
A family healing from suicide — told by a mother and her three children with fresh, poignant art
– Rebecca Anderson and Laurie Phillips
"These beautiful books are small pieces of art with narrative that express the different experiences and relationships to the same tragic event. They validate the feelings of loss survivors of all ages and also show how art can help heal. As a loss survivor myself, I thank you for thoughtfully and courageously telling your stories in ways that will be enlightening for those who have not had the experience, and bring comfort to those who have."
- Donna Fox, Director of Adult Programs and Suicide Prevention, National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) MN
- John R. Jordan, Ph.D., Taskforce on U.S. National Guidelines for Suicide Postvention
“As a family therapist specializing in grief, I was most
impressed with the way this series captures the internal world of a particular
family grieving a suicide death.”
- Janice Winchester Nadeau, PhD, LP, RN,
this artfully crafted set of books, the Anderson family has courageously shared
the experience of
their healing process from the trauma of the death of a loved one from
suicide. Through the use of storytelling
and art, their individual stories have been organically infused with hope,
while coping with their unimaginable loss."
- Sue Towey, APRN, CNS, MS, Integrative Mental Health Practitioner, Retired Licensed Psychologist